Thursday, September 3, 2009

Top 5 Routines "So You Think You Can Dance"

Since America's Best Dance Crew has been tepid and uninspiring, last night's episode of "So You Think You Can Dance": Nigel's top 15 routines finally brought the inspiration I've been craving.


For the most part I really like this show, but often don't have the patience to sit through a lot of the corny or crap choreography. They invite all of these big name choreographers that experiment with obscure concepts, and it often translates into something stupid. Yeah I know I'm a hater. People either like watching these shows with me or they hate it. Sorry I was a dancer before anything else, and I have some strong commentary.

However, out of all the dance shows on T.V. SYTYCD is good at showing the rigor and the capacity that it takes to be a great dancer. They have the best dancers on T.V. hands down. It makes me sad that the winners often go into obscurity, and really make no other impact after the show. They win a whole bunch of money, and then they don't do anything else. I know a dancer is not equivalent to a rock star, but at least its getting to an era where a dancer is more than just the background. Many of the pieces of this show have won or have been nominated for Emmys. I'm excited to see this new era of dance.

Here are my top 5 out of Nigel's 15. I wish I choreographed these pieces. I wish I performed them.

#1 Jeanine and Jason:This is my #1 becuase it's the dance about love that I always wanted to do. And.... it's hot.

#2 Katie and Joshua: This is the best modern choreography I've ever seen on this show.


#3Kayla and Kupono: Addiction. Haunting. Chilling. Brilliant


#4 Mark and Chelsie Bleeding Love: This could have been really corny, but I couldn't stop loving it. I hate this song, but I love this routine. The story line was so clear, and with hip hop it's hard to translate certain concepts. Nigel categorized this as "Lyrical Hip Hop"I don't know about all of that. It's debatable. I took a workshop by Tabitha Duomo one of the choreographers for this piece. She took my breath away, and did the same for this routine.


#5 Danny and Lacey Samba: Samba is one of my favorite Latin Dances. I would say it's my favorite, but I love Argentine tango just a little more. This is my favorite Latin dance routine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cause i like lists:

5 if it kills me - janine and jason (travis wall) [we've talked about the necklace biting, but i identify with the 'if it kills me' part. but let's keep it real - dancing is art, and it's gorgeous to see those who are students transition to teachers and vice versa. always learning, evolving, and growing.]

4 bleeding love - chelsea and mark (tabitha & napoleon) [this is here (cause mia micahel's beautiful isn't on this list of 15) so hip-hop could be represented, but again shane spark's 'make it work' isn't on the list. the show, partly depends on growing and learning from your partner, and sabra took it upon herself to learn a freeze from dominic!]

3 the chairman's waltz - jamie and hok (wade robson) [seriously? wade robson all day everyday.]

2 sweet dreams - sabra and neil (mandy moore) [sabra was a force to be reckoned with. her personality was always overshadowed by dominic - and i'll refrain from my thoughts on him - and people/judges seemed to forget about her dancing, and that she carried him throughout the competition. and there's one moment in this dance with neil, where there's a lift, and she's placed so high in the air with neil's strength, and i remember saying 'wow. yes, that's where she needs to be.']

1 why? - allison and ivan (tyce diorio)[mostly cause allison is phenomenal and her moves are unmatched - like a run on sentence - but it's ivan who grows as a dancer here, and that's what this show is about right? what life is about? growth? should i start crying now?]

it's just a shame no one could keep up with brian friedman's choreo.

also, i'm putting it out there. we're going to work on something together in the future.

The Bootch Manifesto. said...

All of the pieces you listed were on Nigel's top 15. #'s 3, 2, and 1 are great honorable mentions. Man I wish they would put this show on DVD already. I LOVE Sabra! I wish Nigel would have listed more of her routines. Actually my favorite Allison and Ivan routine is Sexy Love. HEHE. I'm glad to hear from another dance enthusiast. I hope one day you'll see me dance again and I'll do you proud. Lets definitely work together.

Post a Comment