Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bakla show at the Thick House in SF! Opening June 6th


Right now I feel my feet back on the earth. My family and my art have managed to keep me grounded. No big declarations today, just wake up, walk out the door, and see what happens from there. I have completely surrendered my cards. I have no need to see what is ahead of me right now. Keep it moving.

I've just started choreographing some work for the Bakla show. For those who do not know what bakla means, it essentially means gay in Tagalog. It's going to be great theatre, comprised of acting and movement, while highlighting LGBT issues in the Filipino community.

Who knew that butch chicks were such dance fans, who throw terms like barrel jumps and pirouettes! :)


I'm currently working on a piece called Malakas and Maganda based on the mythic story about the creation of the Phillippines. I've performed this story before, but I've never done it through dance.

For that particular piece I sort of just free styled some movements, until someone would tell me when they saw something they liked. I think for the next month I just need to watch a lot of dance so I can continue to gain ideas and not burn out in doing the same "Christina moves" that I've been doing for a million years.

The second piece that I worked on yesterday is about a transgendered sex worker. The song is called "Images" by Nina Simone. Truth be told, and this is an embarassing confession. I cannot name one Nina Simone song >_< . That's right. Not one. Just zero.

"Images" is so fucking haunting. It's like an angel singing to me while I walk the plank.

Oh Nina. Why am I so late?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm glad those baklas have helped open the door to some nina simone.

Post a Comment