Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Write Like a Motherfucker

As I sort through my emo bullshit, I find any reason to just be a miserable misanthrope.

Misanthrope is my favorite GRE word of the day btw. Moving along.

I took a break from studying, and I came across this really great article today via I, Mami. I've never read this advice column before, but it's been getting a lot of feedback and response from readers.

A woman writer and her most vulnerable, asks the questions that many writers ask in some form, am I going to be okay by choosing to be a writer? My content sucks, I'm this and that, my vocabulary is not up to par, I have too much going on, I'm depressed, I haven't read enough novels, no one loves me, I hate this, etc.

Sugar the columnist tell Elissa, the depressed writer, "If you had a two-sided chalkboard in your living room I’d write humility on one side and surrender on the other for you. "

I don't know if animals have ego. They probably don't, but humans seem to dig their asses in it. Writers find every angle of every emotion to understand, so that they can capture it for their readers. I'm navigating through my days of understanding what I have instead of what I don't. It's a tricky thing to do, if you are already emo.

Everything happens for the reasons that you want them to. It's not your fate for bad or good things to happen to you, but it's your responsibility as a human to pay attention to the events that make your life. This is the most un-Catholic thing I've ever said, but whatever.

Read the whole article. It touched upon my heartstrings, and I'm taking the advice to "Write like a motherfucker."

0 comments:

Post a Comment