Saturday, May 28, 2011

Addicted to Love?

I've been addicted, *chuckle,* to the The Fix, a website solely dedicated to addiction and recovery.

Rich with celebrity interviews and plenty of facts and research to share, The Fix is smart, sleek, and engaging use of time.

Love addiction, is it real or a myth? Catherine Townsend describes her own experience with the addiction, but she still left me wondering whether or not the addiction is valid.

According to her article, love addiction has not made it into the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, but she gives enough examples and anecdotes that prove otherwise.

Every woman, and I mean EVERY woman that I know, has had a psychotic break down that resulted in a breakup. I also know a few men, although they will not admit to even half of the psycho shit that me and my girls have done. However, is this behavior an indicator to a lifelong mental illness such as depression or bipolar disorder? I'm not sure if I'm sold, but I'm entertained.

My favorite quotes from this article are:

“The true test of mental health is how you cope with these setbacks. Do you turn to family and friends, or do you start spinning out of control and stalking your ex? When something happens to blow up the fantasy, true love addicts go into physical withdrawal, and then into psychiatric meltdown.”

“You have to work with the addictive process, the fantasy, the denial that protects the fantasy, the withdrawal from the fantasy, the returning to the relationship and return to the fantasy, or spinning off and doing it with someone else,” says Katehakis. “

"Fighting off sobs, I asked them if this was like the Sex and the Cityepisode where Carrie’s friends cut her off. They replied that they felt more like the passengers in Airplane!, who chose to hang and stab themselves rather than be subjected to yet another sob story about someone's ex-lover."

The best way to get yourself out of heartbreak. Is to completely take yourself out of the situation. All of it. Women are pushed from fantasy to fantasy, and it fucks with our sanity. Get your sanity back, and save that energy for your self growth. You are going to need it for reality.

0 comments:

Post a Comment