Friday, September 2, 2011

My First Theater Review

Last month I was in the bay area to watch my piece performed at Cal State East Bay called Secrets EXposed.

It was the first time that I've seen anything I've written performed on stage. I took a huge chance writing a murderous tale. It felt crazy writing it, but seeing it on stage was like experiencing brief schizophrenia.

For a second I thought to invite my mom to come with me to show, but once I told her what the piece was about she was already squeamish.

Just as she was giving me a side eye, she asked me, "What the hell is going through my daughter's head?"

Never mind. I'll go by myself. LOL

I wrote the piece for the upcoming Bindlestiff Production "Death of a Player", and I was more than flattered when director Ann Fajilan asked if she could use my piece for her college production at CSUEB.

The actress, Teresita Brown, who played the main character in my piece did exceptionally well. I was blown away when I found out it was her first time on stage, and she's going to be part of the PMSTA show in October and I couldn't be happier to have her with us!

To read the review click here. Or just read MY part :D

"One of the most surprising and delightful performances was Teresita Brown’s performance of “The Word of Oprah,” written by Christina Ying.

The piece explored madness and crime, as well as a fanatical obsession with a woman so many people revere and look to for guidance in their daily lives.

Brown gave an outstanding performance as she perfectly embodied a maniac with an intense enactment that kept the viewer hanging on her every word.

It is not easy to play a fanatical person without looking over-the-top or tacky, but Brown was thoroughly convincing and Ying’s strong story telling provided her with a variety of qualities and components to the story."

Wow... Speechless.

I'm also eternally grateful for Ann Fajilan for getting my work out there. Her students put on a great show. When I met them afterwards some of the cast gasped as she introduced me as the writer for "The Word of Oprah." It must be because I look so sweet, and you would never suspect that I would write a story about a murdering psycho ;)

Here are some more shots from the show.

The Cast for "The Word of Oprah" (I'm glad they didn't run away from me)
Me and the awesome Teresita Brown
The dead body in my piece

Yep. There's a dead body. If wanna see why check out our show, "Death of a Player"

WHERE: Bindlestiff Studio 185 Sixth Street, San Francisco, CA 94103

WHEN: October 13-16, 20-22 and 27-29 Thursdays through Saturdays, 800PM Matinees (October 15-16, 22, and 29), 200PM

0 comments:

Post a Comment