Saturday, February 4, 2012

Raja Inspired: How to Contour an Asian Face

The first time a makeup artist tried to contour my nose she made me look like a Klingon. Not only was I saddened that she was trying to reshape my nose, but the lines that she used to contour my face were too harsh and too obvious. In the Philippines they use this method for T.V. so that they can create the illusion of a thin pin nose, but when the contouring is too obvious it's pretty horrible.



I have a love/hate relationship with my nose as you can tell by over butt-hurtness of the Klingon situation. It wasn't until I saw Raja (WHO I LOVE) on Rupaul's Drag Race, that I started to understand the purpose of contouring, and how it can accentuate an Asian face without butchering the beautiful nose that was god given.

I'll be the first to tell you Raja as a dude is FIONE. With absolutely no makeup he's gorge and perfect just way he is. When he gets in drag he contours the sides of his nose and his cheekbones.  As a result showcases his eyes and lips more and displays a more feminine look.

There are a tons of videos on YouTube that will show you how to do it, but after much research on  I found that this video best explained how to best "blend in" the contouring without looking like a Klingon.



After much practice with the right tools, and the proper tutelage, last night was my best contouring session.  Not only was I happy that my efforts reshaped my cheekbones and nose, but I was able to kind of hide my ole forehead! I rarely go out without my bangs, but because I contoured it, I definitely felt more comfortable showing my dome.





  The two godsend tools that make contouring success is the MAC 187 brush and the Sephora concealer brush. To set it up you have to the do the tribal warpaint step that they show in the video,  and that's what I use the Sephora concealer brush for. The MAC 187 brush is what I use to blend everything together. This is the miracle brush, and also my most favorite of all my brush children.

I further highlighted my cheeks with a MAC peachy blush, and voila! You have a contoured face :)

I'm all about loving one's face. Everyone has features that are not their favorites, and contouring is not a way make them vanish, but rather to a way to embrace the face that you have. The links below have the product info for all of the contouring tools. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I die you look so gorgeous! Definitely going to link this from my blog! <3

The Bootch Manifesto. said...

Thanks Teenie ;)

lexi920 said...

Well done - very proud!

Unknown said...

We are all like flowers that blooms or withered in the garden depending on how we take good care of our self. So do not let negativity pass through. Enjoy and be confident. Have a good day and visit my site for more information.

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net

Post a Comment