Monday, January 12, 2015

A Year of Big Decisions


I'm not a fan of the show, Girls, but I was cracking up at the season trailer when her boyfriend says, "To Hannah, to taking the next step. In a series of random steps." I haven't been caught up with the show for a minute, but I think this line has to do with her decision to attend an MFA program in Iowa. Sound familiar? I suppose I should be invested in this plot line but I think I'm over the era of arbitrary decisions and random steps. I don't like to waste time and money. I'm going to predict that by the end of this season this little bitch named Hannah is going to drop out in one of the most prestigious writing programs in the nation. I can't ... with her.

As usual, my blog posts have been few and far in between. Although, it's bad for this blog it means that things are busy for me. While I was in the Bay Area I had gotten a job that would allow me to work remote from Los Angeles. Training for the job prolonged my moving date, but I'm grateful that I took the time to set some roots that would take care me financially. The next step is make roots in the other area of my life, which is my writing life. I have a goal of getting into the the industry in 2015. In the bay area this goal is lofty. People look at me with both concern, retrained laughter, and doubt when I tell them this. I don't know if I'm too old or too invested to entertain it, but all I know is that there is a prophecy to fulfill and I have not choice to pursue it. In screenwriting, if this story is going to take form in the "Hero's Journey" we will call this current phase, "The Call to Adventure."

Good news ... the adventure has sort of started. My play and graduate thesis will be making it's world premiere in San Francisco in May 2015. Out of everything that I wrote in graduate school. I'm the most proud of that play. It's something that best reflects of who I am as a writer at this moment. I'll talk about the play more in the upcoming year, but since it's in the early stages of production I sort of want to keep the suspense.

Here's another big decision that I'm dealing with. While I am now on my grind and shit. How much fun do I want to have? Talk to me five years ago ... I'd would've been like .... YOLO MOTHERFUCKER! I'm a thousand percent serious on this issue. When I last moved here I don't know if you remember the entries, but I was a hedonist mess ass. There are a few key differences in current version of my LA self. I hardly drink, go out, and do all things. It's very YO.NO.

One of the biggest reasons for this is I took charge of my health. A few months ago I had a very sobering doctor's visit. We need not get into the details, but I cleaned up my eating and started working out like I was training for the hunger games. I am the mocking jay. Bitch. The problem with this is I can't go back to the way I was, because my health will take a toll. But the way that I was, was so fucking fun. I was the party girl and now she's dead.

I'm going to end the post with this. I'm adjusting to a new self in a not so new city. The dream is still big. The work ethic is still the same. All I can do is take it one day at a time.

1 comments:

Juli said...

Huzzah! Sounds like you've done some very important growth. Love from afar,
Juli

Post a Comment