Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Camaradas el Barrio 11:00 PM Mondays

Last night was the night I've always wanted to have in New York. I've always wanted to have one of those NYC dance nights that explained exactly why Hip Hop originated in New York.

I got exactly that at Camaradas el Barrio in East Harlem.

We are on our way to the city from the metro north and Chelle mentions that Bobbito is spinning in East Harlem. My eyes perked up and there was no question of where we were going. WE ARE GOING TO EAST HARLEM.

Starting at twelve years old I was an avid reader of Vibe magazine, and of course I always enjoyed Bobbito's column "Ask Bobbito." His recomendations and lists were a channel for me, and I wanted to dance to his set, in his element, with his folks, and in his hood.

I've seen him in SF spinning for huge parties such as Wonderfull and Soul Slam, but he was at arms length and I geeked out. He still uses records. We are in a room with no more than 20 people and I feel like I'm in the best party in the world.

I'm not a music expert by any means. I'm sort of accidentally in the know of things, and my relationship with music has always been in sync with dance. There is a difference when you dance to a top 40 hit versus dancing to a classic. It's that feeling in dance that I always describe as the meeting of sex, prayer, and happiness.

Latin, Nu-Jazz, Afro-beat, Rare Funk, Sweet Soul, Progressive Hip Hop, Soulful House, Roots, Ballad was on the menu. Me and my girls were obviously out of place, but we took up the dance floor without sitting down for a good three hours. My limited salsa experience served me well, as men spun me around multiple times........ drunk.

I was happy as a clam, sweating like I just got out of the gym, and drunk as a skunk.

"I love it when you come to SF Bobbitto!"

He hella didn't hear me. He just smiled at me.

That's fine :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment