Wednesday, September 15, 2010

DJ Z-Trip


I'm at my very first tailgate party. I'm slightly overwhelmed. Almost every single inch of grass outside of the Rosebowl is covered in Blue and Yellow in honor of the UCLA Bruins.

Upon my arrival to Lot H. I notice the sleek amps and turn tables. There was already a buzz and I knew that my first tailgate party was going to be one of the most memorable.

I was asked to interview DJ Z-Trip on camera, and I sheepishly said yes. Not wanting to look like a fool amongst the musically savy, I googled his name on my iPhone.

When I saw words such as "Pioneer", "America's Best DJ", and not to mention his work on the video game DJ hero, I looked at my cohort and asked if I could hold the camera instead.

I actually just wanted to witness the magic. Gridiron football is not in my bloodstream, but dancing is. In a crowed where the demographic couldn't be any different, I was curious to know what America's Best DJ was going to play.

From the UCLA Bruins fight song, to Nirvana, to DJ Khaled, he managed to have a song for every single person on that grass. For four hours we had everyone on the grass hopping like it was a club. Opposing Stanford fans even managed to trickle in and freak one another. It was madness, it was beautiful, he did exactly was a great DJ does. He keeps everyone dancing. It's one of those things that is not by accident, he just knows exactly what he needs to play.

Free beer. Free food. Lots of sweat. The Mash Up King stole the show.

After my crew interviewed him. I reached up to give him a high five. Looking slightly confused for a minute, he smiled and connected with me. It was a most excellent Saturday afternoon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment