Monday, October 4, 2010

LA's Bboy Summit

Los Angeles has so much to offer and I feel ashamed that my bay area arrogance was not able to recognize this before. My good friend/dance compadre Joi, who is also a fashion stylist here in LA, figured that a day at the B-boy summit would be a fine time for the both of us.

I never had the balls to be a B-girl (literally). The breaking scene is still brutally male dominated and misogynistic. I always feared that I would look silly trying, but had always wished that I had break dancing in my artillery.

In the past ten years the B-girl uniform has not changed. Kangol hats, bandannas, beanies, kicks, and bamboo earrings. It just cracks me up that this style has not evolved, and that all the women feel like they need to dress this way. On the wrong girl it looks incredibly silly, especially if homegirl breaks really badly. It's like looking at a bright skittle that is trying really hard. Those are the types of girl that you knew were only into breaking to meet guys. Game recognize game. You ain't Slick Rick.

We went on Saturday so there were free workshops in the middle of Pershing Square. There were breakers from everywhere that came to jump in the cyphers. There were a sea of kids with just a sprinkle of OG poppers.

This event was so OG Arabian Prince from NWA spun during the popper set. Hella fucking awesome.

The organizers did a really great job at accommodating all of the styles that encompass break dancing. It was peaceful and positive, and everyone followed the rules. This event was all about the kids. I love how kids are so hungry for dance. It was a certain level of bravery that I wish I had.

Most adults would be intimidated to speak to any of theses OG's, but kids as young as five would align themselves right next to the teacher and imitate them as best as they could. It was great. It brought back really great memories.

Ten years ago Joi and I danced together in a group called 69 degrees, which makes me feel like an old lady. The years that I spent dancing for various hip hop groups, I would never take them back. The battles, the competitions, and the beef all make the hip hop experience. It's also given me a flare for fashion and discipline.

Hence two unexpected fashion choices: Matching Jordans. She and I are B-girls at heart. Good times.

0 comments:

Post a Comment