Thursday, March 17, 2011

Be a man

I have a photo shoot in a week, which is one of the reasons I've been hitting it hard at the gym. The theme is still Death of a Player.

We agreed that our look would be androgynous menswear a'la Janelle Monae. However, Janelle is a stick, and menswear compliments her frame.

I googled pictures of more curvy ladies, such as Kim Kardashian in menswear, but it just looks hella generic.

At the moment, I'm looking up Drag Kings to get another perspective on how to accomplish this look.

I've been pretty hooked on Ru Paul's dragrace for the past couple of months. In a way watching that show makes me feel like a woman whenever I get the urge to lay around in T-shirt and sweats.

If there is anything to take away from that show, it's that it's a ritual to look your prettiest, and you should spend however amount of time you need to get ready, in order to feel like a million bucks when you walk out the door. Also drag queens show us that you can accomplish any look, you just need the make up, the application techniques, and the time.

Ideally, I want my look to be something like this.

<----------------------------


Shall I call this look "Butch Elegance?"

In my dream of dreams I would like a white tuxedo jacket, with black underneath. I want to look like a hot chick that is torn between Scarface and Casablanca.

This will no doubt require some digging into my dad and brother's closets. Maybe a trip to thrift store.

I don't want to look completely like a dude, but because our monologues plays with gender roles, we thought it would be a good idea to do this theme for the promotion. This photo shoot is going to be really fun.

If the men on Ru Paul's drag race can make transforming into a woman look like a walk in the park, I can manage to find a look for next Sunday.

2 comments:

lexi920 said...

That is hot but I always felt I wasn't thin enough to pull off the androgynous tux look. My favorite will always be YSL's Le Smoking look from 1968 also women like Jerry Hall, Bianca Jagger, Marisa Berenson - women of Studio 54 are my icons for this look.

Don't let this stop you. Maybe you can just do hint of a 3 piece suit - like do a jacket, pant and vest but no shirt. I think it is a hot look to still have a bit of femme mixed into an otherwise androgynous look.

Yes, Kim K - lame in a suit. Then again I am not her biggest fan.

The Bootch Manifesto. said...

Here peep http://www.houseofninesdesign.com/2010/12/lady-tux.html

OMG I just googled YSL's Le smoking look and I'm so in love. I'm going to play around with some tuxedo shirts, ties, and suspenders. If there is a vest involved maybe that too. I'm really excited for this look, and I know the pictures are gonna look sick.

Post a Comment