Thursday, June 16, 2011

Mom. Best Friend.

June 13, 2011
Dear Christina,

Your turning 29 is very special to me because at age 29 I was a new mother with you. Lately I've been thinking a lot about that year and how wonderful it was to have all that time with you. Although I really didn't know what I was doing, you had tremendous patience for me.

You were never cranky or whining. You were always smart, loving, and good natured.

I wish someone had told me that first week that you were born, when everyone was asleep except you and me that my baby would grow up to be a beautiful, accomplished woman. I would have forgotten how tired and sleep deprived I was, and I would have resisted the urge to yank your sleeping father out of bed.

You once told me that you thought of me as your best friend. That is the highest compliment anyone has said to me as a mother, and I hope that you will always think of me in that way.

Happy Birthday, Christina, I love you.

Mom

4 comments:

lexi920 said...

That is very beautiful. This is the kind of letter I would love to write to Gabi when she becomes a woman.

Happy Belated Birthday!

Ann* said...

Note to self: do not read this while you're at work. That said, how beautiful!

The Bootch Manifesto. said...

When my mom gave this to me, I just had just gotten smashed at Elephant Bar, because I was feeling sorry for myself. Needless to say, I had that ugly drunk cry, but it was truly the best gift I've ever gotten from my mom.

aivy cordova said...

HAHAHHA OH SHIT, right after I dropped you off? Loves it. <3

Post a Comment