Monday, October 24, 2011

Reinventing Feminism: OWN's Miss Representation

I absolutely loved this documentary. Miss Representation was featured on the OWN network this past weekend, and I was sincerely moved and inspired.

When I was interviewed for The Pioneer Online one of the questions that was asked was "Why do you feel like PMSTA's work is important?"

My answer was, because if you look at the media, the message that is out there is that women are to be marketed for sex only.

Miss Representation gives a very well researched answer of why that is. The choices of the modern day woman is being shaped by media and television, and unfortunately young girls are falling victim to more exploitation that the generation before.

It's still widely believed that there is no longer a glass ceiling for women. This is a horrible misperception, and it makes me depressed that we have a long way to go.

Before the men decide to clutch their balls, I encourage them to watch this. We are a world that is expanding and not shrinking, and a woman's safety and healthy continues to be compromised. Women in leadership have not been embraced. This makes me very sad.

Newest Miss Representation Trailer (2011 Sundance Film Festival Official Selection) from Miss Representation on Vimeo.

1 comments:

lexi920 said...

I'm going to have to hunt this movie down - definitely something to see!

Post a Comment