Thursday, December 29, 2011

My Journey in Vanity

My Christmas Look
I will be first to admit that Los Angeles has made me super vain. I tried my best to resist, but I miserably failed. I'm not even going to explain myself. It is what it is. I pat myself on the back for not buying as much clothes this year, but omg, I bought so much makeup I feel like a freaking Kardashian. Well I can also blame my penchant for youtube beauty blogs and Rupaul's Drag Race. 

Not that I aim to look like a drag queen in my every day look, but it changed some perspective. I look back on the years where I looked like shit, and I tremble. It was not a reflection of my best self, because I was a wreck. There's this god awful picture at my grandma's house from when I had boy short hair and no makeup. My brother jokes that he didn't know he had a brother -_-

So guess what? I got tips! Here's my two cents.

1. Ritualize Getting Ready: Remember the opening scene to To Wong Foo Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar?  It's actually my favorite part of the movie :) When I shut the door and get ready in my bathroom, it's my selfish bitch time. I will take as long as I need to. I got my "Pretty Girl Rock" playlist on, and I do what I need to do!

2. Get that Good Shit: The holy trinity of awesome is MAC, NARS, and sometimes Urban Decay. Primer, bronzer, MAC brushes, and HD cream blush have been my favorite purchases this year. Although all these steps has extended my getting ready time, I've gotten better at putting on makeup. The purchases were a good investment in my vanity :)

3. Night With the Girls/Gays = Pictures: So shellac the shit out of that grill of yours! All I'm gonna say is, you don't want to be plain face in a group picture. Yes, this includes the gays.

4. Magazines In The Bathroom: I have a Mt. Everest worthy stack of magazines in my bathroom. So now you've learned that I'm a "reader" in the bathroom. However, I take this time seriously. I've learned some of my best beauty techniques during this time. There is a lot of irony in that.

5. False Eyelashes: Are the bomb! Learn how to use them. They make pictures look better, and my smokey eye look is never complete without them.

6. You're Still Smart. You Just Have A Cuter Outfit: I often dream that Stacy and Clinton from What Not to Wear will ask my brother and I to take over their show. If there is a talent that my brother and I share it's talking shit in a really loving way. Of course, I doubt we are qualified to take over the show. Anyhoo, I'm digressing. I used to have this perception that I had to reflect my beliefs through my appearance. If you went to a college with a lot of activist influence, then you'll know what I'm talking about. "I'm just down to earth," great, well you're face is also shiny in pictures.

It is very possible to have both a low maintenance personality and a hot look. If people judge you, that's their problem. As long as your beliefs remain in your heart, who gives a shit on how much money and time you spend on yourself. If I don't see you kick a baby or push an old lady, then go ahead and buy those shoes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment