Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Second Hand Adventures: Clothing Swap and Crossroads

I got invited to a clothing swap in Long Beach this past weekend. I was sort of overwhelmed to walk into a room of 20 Filipino women dumping clothes in the middle of room, but the whole day was super fun and it was cool meeting new folks.

I suppose a clothing swap is appropriate for the new year. I like to reassess my closet every year and get real with what I do and don't wear. However, when my closet starts to lose weight I fill it back up again with more clothes.

Before this past weekend I had cleaned out my closet to sell, but I ended up coming back from Crossroads with more stuff than I sold =/ I seriously have a problem. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not dating, but I just feel so comforted by my clothes. Hello someone submit me for Hoarders! Whenever I get home from a binge I b-line for my room to avoid my roommate clowning the shit out of me, as I clutch my clothes and yell "It's my money fool! I can buy whatever I want!"

Well even though my last binge was all second hand stuff, I can't say that I actually saved money or created more space. But I came up like a true shopaholic. Below are my favorite items.


So my shopping choices are half delusional and half impulse.  Every girl looks at an outfit that puts them in a fantasy of a fabulous future event. So I'll let you know what the fuck I was thinking!

1. Puma Sweatshirt: I'm a huge fan of Weezer.  I might go to a casual dinner in this and talk about the 90's. Actually I found this sweater in the pile after a bootch tried to take item #3 off my back, but I'll get into that later. Anyhoo, I got really nostalgic when I saw this sweater.  I'll probably rock it with some shorts and kicks.

2. Shaun White Flannel: I see myself lounging around a coffee shop and being hip in this shit. Look at me on my laptop I'm writing fucker! *sips on expensive coffee*

3. Adidas Jacket: So during the swap the rule was, if you are already wearing it, it's yours. If it's not on you, you have to rock paper scissors for it. This tall bootch wanted to rock paper scissor for the jacket, so I looked at her with my mean ass bootch face. I let her try it on, and then the sleeves were too short. I told her I would shed a tear for her, and then said "now give me my jacket back bitch."

4. Cynthia Vincent Sweater: If your guess was that I would be hiking up Machu Pichu in this, then you are a snarky asshole. I got this from Crossroads. It's actually mad cute and comfortable. Wool and cashmere! Woot Woot! I have an all black maxi dress that I can wear this with.

5. United Colors of Benetton Jacket: Hopefully I can march around Sweden in this solving a murder with a girl who has a dragon tattoo. It's super Euro, but quite comfortable. Very rarely does it get cold enough in LA to sport this, but I have it just in case.

6. Ethnic Man's Shirt: Oh Boy... looks like I'm going to have to organize a rally! Where's my headwrap! Got this at the clothes swap. This was actually longer, but I hemmed it just now to give it a more feminine look. I'm gonna pair this with my black leather shorts or some wide legged pants.

7. BCBG Heels: Dude fierce and comfortable! When I saw these at Crossroads I sort of died. These are shoes that will last beyond getting from the car to the dining table. I can actually trek around the city in these.

8. Boutique 9 Kitten Heels: Another Crossroads find, but I'm gonna be real. These shoes are two sizes too big for me. Just listen..... I couldn't find them online anywhere. They are the perfect heel, very Ashley Olsen, with a touch of Rihanna. I will stuff the shit out of these shoes until they fit me.

9. Jewelry From the Clothing Swap: Bout to get my Erykah Badu on! I was actually eyeing all of this stuff while the coordinator was making the rules. I saw the two fingered ring from the corner of my eye, and at the same time was grabbing the door knockers and bangles. Yo, do not mess with my shopping. I will kill a bitch to get to the the stuff that I want.

Closing thoughts: Second hand can be a killer to the wallet even if you don't buy anything new for the whole year. However, it's worth it if you like bougie shit. There is no way I would have been able to afford the Cynthia Vincent sweater at full price, that sweater was probably $300. So there. Enjoy your second hand adventures.

3 comments:

Juli said...

1.You are so curvy and gorgeous, you can get away with wearing boy's or androgynous clothes (No's. 1-6), and still look cute. I'd look like an old man if I tried wearing that stuff.
2. Love the shoes (7 and 8). Try some Dr. Scholl's insoles in the too-large ones, or take them to a good shoe repair place and see if they can slip an insole UNDER the shoe's liner.
3. Love the jewelry--espesh the two-finger ring! It all looks very...you.

Christina R said...

Love #8 "I will stuff the shit out of these shoes until they fit me".

The Bootch Manifesto. said...

Thanks Ladies! I'm really good at picking out clothes for me and other people. I'll be down to shop with any of you two at any time :)

Post a Comment