Wednesday, October 20, 2010

MCHS Home Coming 2010

I have very mixed feelings about high school. I have no idea which of the John Hughes' brat pack archetypes I embodied, but like the movies I went through my own anguish that set the precedence for my now miserable adulthood.

I suppose it would surprise people that I would attend my home coming games as an alumni. I hated my class. In fact, my ten-year reunion just passed, and I have no tears about missing it. I remember the first and last names of maybe ten people from my class. If I could go back maybe I would change that. I didn't hate high school years, but nothing was awesome about it except for Color Guard.

I was a Color guard girl for all four years of high school, but I was previously a punk. I wasn't the cool rocker punk. I was simply a brat. My dance teacher/Color guard coach sniffed out my bullshit from the beginning, and she called me out for the lazy kid that I was. Those first couple of months with her felt like I was working with someone who had a personality that crossed between a drill seargent and Joan Crawford in Mommy Dearest.

She KICKED my ass, and I love her for it. Because of her I grew out of my insecure shell and I became the leader bootch that I am today. She is one of my closest friends and I regard her as one of my most positive mentors.

I can brag that I was a Color Guard captain, because I was good Oh wait, let me rephrase this. As Demi Moore put in Charley's Angels Full Throttle, "I was never good. I was great." (Cue in maniacal laugh).

I guess that's why I so damn power hungry till this day. Despite my King Midas complex, we won like no body's business. The cheer leaders hated us for it because they sucked ass and they knew it. Aside from knowing that they sucked, we were a cuter squad. Yeah I said it. So those bitches can eat it.

They killed the Color Guard program about five years ago at my high school. This move was a huge slap in the face considering that Color Guard won first place for the school in every competition for the past twenty years.

A couple of years ago my teacher called upon the alumni to perform for the Home Coming games to try to revive the program. Well, they haven't revived the program, but we still get together every year.


I recently asked one of my old Color Guard team members, "Who was your best friend in High School?"

"Color Guard," She says.

That about explains it. I love you girls.

Below is the Color Guard Alumnus most recent performance. Because of my new residence in Los Angeles I wasn't able to perform this year, but please check out my most awesome commentary.

0 comments:

Post a Comment