Monday, October 11, 2010

Stronghold (Palm Springs)

I felt like a nomad this weekend, but the transient lifestyle that I'm living right now is very fitting and healing. I'm always ready to move. The next stop was Palm Springs.

My two former roommates Jonas and Jona moved from the bay area to Palm Springs about five years ago. Jona and I have been to countless parties where Jonas and my ex would be spinning, and we called ourselves the DJ girlfriends.

We helped load in, set up, and would be the last ones to leave. In those years we were rotating between drum and bass, reggae, and random top forty parties. Those were great years.

Jonas has now cultivated a reggae scene in Palm Springs. StrongHold started in San Francisco, and has now become the party to be at in Palm Springs. For me it was interesting to see a San Francisco party transcend into a completely different scene and watching good folks have a great time.

This picture cracks me up because I have no idea why I'm making this face. I guess I was shocked at Ed's enthusiasm and intensity. Good guy, but very wacky!

I met a good group of folks this weekend, who were all very genuine and kind. Jonas has a good team of people who make this party happen every month, and have managed to get a consistent following.

Palm Springs is a nice getaway from LA. The parties in LA are a little intimidating to me. They seem so fab industry, I'm sure if folks are there to dance to just "look good." It's been interesting for me to experience subculture outside of San Francisco. For a long time I don't I could even fathom subculture outside of San Francisco, because I was just a Bay Area snob.

I can't even believe that I thought nothing "real" or "cool" could happen in SF. *eye roll* that's me in my early 20's for you.

Great times Palm Springs. I'm sad I won't be able to go next month. Your desert drive is beautiful. You people are nice and chill. I'll see you again. Next Stop back to LA for the Do Over party.

0 comments:

Post a Comment