Monday, November 29, 2010

The Centerville Junior High Reunion

My Junior high years are probably my favorite. I had really great friends. There was something special about those two years, and our class was really close.

I remember being a social butterfly in Junior High and talking to EVERYONE. I guess not much as changed, but in some weird and Freudian like way Junior High set the tone of what my social personality would be for the rest of my life. In retrospect our class was very non judgemental. I can't explain what the chemistry was. We had our assigned ethnic cliques I suppose, but we all floated around and just kicked it.

Alicia who is sitting to my left in the picture, was our class star and president, but both of us didn't go to high school with the rest of our friends. The power of Facebook brought me and Alicia back together, and we came up with this crazy idea to do a reunion with just our eighth grade class. We both felt weird about actually going through with it, because we didn't want to look like a bunch of desperate people who were trying too hard to be nostalgic.

Then in true Alicia and Christina spirit, we both decided we didn't give a shit, and we went through with it. We got the support of our two other friends Dina and Monique to help us. All four of us were on the step team, and it was great to be working with them again.

I didn't go to the my high school reunion, because I didn't click with my class. I went to a Catholic High School, so naturally I just found folks to be super snooty. Maybe in the back of my mind I just always wanted to be back with my eighth grade class. So naturally I just dove myself into planning our reunion.

We had it at the Centerville Community Center, which is behind our junior high. My very good friend Nicolo spun for us, and I told him that this felt like eighth grade again, except I'm not carrying his crate of records into a house party.


Our DJ even came! DJ Hightop spun at all of our dances and he loved our class so much he wanted to stop by and say hi...... to the girls ;) I had a blast! To me, everyone is still thirteen. We just have adult bodies now. Everyone is still down to earth and open.

I have so much love for these people. Many of them are parents now, and I'm so grateful that they took time out of their busy lives to come out for one night.

I love Alicia for flying out here from Washington D.C. to carry out this crazy idea. I hope we do this every year. It was definitely worth all the trouble! The future has so much anxiety. Sometimes you need to go back in time to remember who you are.

Thank you everyone for the spectacular time!

1 comments:

lexi920 said...

Oh my goodness - that's freakin adorable! I'm highly nostalgic and I would love to get my 8th grade class together. I hated 7th grade because that's when I learned that other girls can be nasty bootches. But I found my way in 8th grade and had a blast!

I loved this post and the fact that your class was that close to actually get together for this. I didn't go to my high school reunion either because the people I did want to see didn't go and the people I didn't care for were there!

Post a Comment