Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Spiritual Challenges

My best friend Jeff took me to a SGI Buddhist meeting about a month ago.

I'm really cynical when it comes to religion, and I did feel incredibly out of place at the meeting. I didn't understand any of the chants, and I don't have the patience to sit through a Miley Cyrus television special much less an hour of chanting.

I'm in no place to find a religion, but I feel the need for an anchor.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is the main chant that we did that night. A close translation of its meaning is "to devote oneself."

The people at the meeting were very nice and they assured me that if I continued the practice that I would find my internal happiness. It's been on my mind since, but I haven't taken the time to start the practice.

Jeff gave me the prayer beads as a gift. Along with the beads, he gave me two books to help me understand the practice better.

There are moments where I don't trust anyone, but I'm thankful for Jeff all the time. "Practice" is a concept that I'm growing into. I hear it a lot in Yoga and now in Buddhism. I'm not sure where this introduction will take me. However, to have a friend who is invested in my spiritual well being is worth the try. Thanks Jeffy poo.

1 comments:

Jeff said...

Welcum! Luv u! Btw the meanings of the prayers/chants are translated to English in the back of the liturgy book, in case you wanted to know what it all means.

Post a Comment