Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Second Shot at Mentoring

Two years ago when I applied for the job of mentoring program coordinator. I was expecting so much from these mentoring relationships, I had never mentored anyone in my life.

When my program ended I asked myself if I would have been a good mentor. So I decided to try it.

WriteGirl gave me the sweetest mentee. Actually, I kinda stole her on the day of a workshop. I got my mentee, because of a little snafu. We were only supposed to be paired up for the day, but the moment that we met we agreed that we'll just be paired up for the year.

Our first couple of meetings have been the get to know you kind. She is ideal youth for every youth organization I can ever imagine. I just LOVE her!

She is actually helping me with my own writing, and has become an accidental writing partner. During our last meeting we were able to write together. We would choose writing prompts and then we would free write for ten minutes at a time. I'm teaching her how to do writing critiques, but she is a little apprehensive about it.

I wish I could have given the mentors in my program this same kind of experience. Maybe in another life and another time, I can help foster mentoring relationships. Right now, I'll just enjoy the one that I have.

1 comments:

lexi920 said...

Girl, you are awesome! I wish you were my mentor when I was 17!

Post a Comment