Thursday, March 31, 2011

Accepting Feedback

I read this article today in Pyschology Today about "How to Take Feedback." It made me think about a lot of the inner turmoil I've been experiencing lately, and it gave some very great perspective.

The one that I've learned over the years, and is even mentioned in this article, is to never give feedback when you are mad or in a bad mood. It is guranteed that you will be misunderstood and I learned the hard way. All my life I've been predisposed to criticism, but there are just some years I don't take it well.

Some people never open themselves to feedback, and like sky diving , it's hard to do. Being a dancer, an artist, and now a writer I have to check my emotions all the time.

As I've gotten older I've learned to detach my work from myself. Feedback of my work is not feedback on my character or my integrity, it just allows for more room to grow.

I need to look at life the same way. If I receive feedback from people, take the note and move forward. Lately, receiving feedback has been feeling like open firing ranges towards my gut. I recognize that I'm at a sensitive point in time. It won't always be this way.

There was a great quote that I learned today. Although my roomate laughed when I told him.

"A boat is always safe in the harbor, but that is not where it belongs. It belongs at sea."


0 comments:

Post a Comment