Thursday, July 12, 2012

Frank Ocean "Coming Out"

I've been having the strangest feelings since Frank Ocean "came out." I agree with the likes of many intellectuals that he is not the "gay rap artist" that the media has labeled him to be, but instead,  here is an amazing artist that has arrived at this present moment as his true self.

In terms of fully exploring and honoring the situation, only journalist Dream Hampton and NPR's Ann Powers have actually eloquent and thoughtful articles about Frank Ocean. Otherwise there have just been a lot of stupid assumptions about what his "coming out " means, and I even watched an episode of Chelsea Lately that made me want to kill a bitch, because of the things that were being said about him.

The whole thing just brings up weird feelings from the past.

I met my gay best friend in high school, and it was during a time where I was a basically a social pariah.  I was coming out of an abusive relationship, and I had spent most of my Freshman and Sophomore year in high school secluded and without friends.  And then I met him. Two peas in a pod. He came out to me in his car and I revealed to him that I was broken and needed repair. We arrived at that moment as our true selves. It was beautiful. 


So as all this media hoopla about Frank Ocean, has had me very maternal about the situation.  I don't want anyone to hurt him.  His life experience has added some of the beautiful layers that I've ever heard in music.

This one in particular, "Bad Religion," brought me to tears.


0 comments:

Post a Comment