Thursday, July 5, 2012

Tea Party

My pretty mom. 
For my 30th birthday I wanted to do something with all my girlfriends, and I knew that I wanted it to be a theme party.

Earlier this year I had wanted to do a big blow out in Vegas, but the closer that it go to my birthday I was over that idea. So I thought that a theme party would be both fun and chill.

I got this idea for a theme party from my cousin in Australia, who had thrown a roaring 20's theme party for her 21'st birthday, and I was so freaking jealous! Everyone at her party arrived so fabulous and they looked like they were having the time of their lives. 


I wanted to do something equally classy and fun.... then I thought... TEA PARTY! 


My mom has the perfect house and backyard for the event,  so I decided to have it there.  We set up her deck with tons of flowers and my best friend Ann brought all kinds of tea sets.  The day was so beautiful and sunny, and watching everyone arrive in their beautiful outfits ands, just made the experience awesome.  When one plans a high tea event, it's important to make the experience as regal, but as fun as possible.
The Butch didn't want to show up in a dress,
but she looked made fierce ;)


MUST wear fancy dress, hat, and gloves.  I was kind of a hard ass about the dress code, but my pushy Polly ways had everyone dressed amazing. I searched different blogs and images, and I sent them to my guests so that they had inspiration for what to wear. 


My outfit is thrifted, and I was able to borrow this fabulous hat from girl Joi who's a stylist in LA. I called my look "Sweating like a whore in church," for a its sort of jezebel meets high society inspiration :) 


Tips for throwing a Fabulous Tea Party:

1. Do you research: When I looked on the internet for ideas, I saw that people all around the world have their own interpretation of what a tea party is. It's up to you whether or not you want an exact copy of the English High Tea experience.

2. Don't be afraid of lavish decadence, because you can do it on a budget: Luckily my mom had some time to shop for some things, and she bought a lot of her serving plates at Marshalls.  My BFF's mom had tons of tea sets just waiting to be used


3. Invite ladies that you love and are willing to participate a 100%: A lot of us girls played tea party when we were young. I think most of us get so bogged down by every day life and for one day of the year, it's never too much to ask them to be a part of the pretend :) 


We were definitely NOT using Royal High Tea etiquette, but to see your homegirls cuss in fancy dresses is an experience in itself.

4. Keep the food and drink simple:  My has been to high tea before, so she pretty much knew what to do. Because high tea is in the middle of the day, it's good to keep the food light.  My mom made cucumber and egg sandwiches, with some mozzarella and tapenade  bruschetta.  She added some gazpacho as well, and it got great reviews!  Of course you need tea! But spiked tea is also awesome. My BFF makes this awesome cold sweet tea cocktail with tea, vodka, and agave. It keeps the party going, while remaining classy and fly at the same time.

5. Truly enjoy your company: Every single woman who attended, has been a part of a huge milestone of my life. I've been friends with most of them for over a decade now. All I kept saying to them was "This is the best day ever!!!!" Of course I was having flashbacks of myself as a little girl playing dress up, of being this exact age :)

Thanks to all my girls that truly made this day an awesome birthday :)







2 comments:

Juli said...

Happy birthday! You all look adorable.

lexi920 said...

Love, love, LOVED this party. I am so happy that everyone adhered to the theme rules. It's so much more fun that way - plus pictures come out waaay cuter!

Post a Comment